Baby its cold out side!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011
As I write this, my fingers are freezing! It is so cold today. All I want to do is find my comfy chair by the fireplace and grab my book that never seems to find its way to my hands, and cuddle up for the rest of the day. When it comes to dinner on a cold day, all I want to do is have some "comfort" food.
I will be the first to admit that it is a little more difficult to eat "well" when its cold outside.  When you look outside and the clouds are dark and filled with snow, and every tree, shrub, and blade of grass screams, gone for the season,, it is hard to even imagine an ice cold smoothie, whole fresh produce, or even a great salad.  All we crave is something warm and satisfying. Is there such a thing as healthy comfort food? I will try to convince you that yes there really is!  A big pot of hot soup filled with root vegetables, a hot cup of tea or carob, roasted sweet potatoes, and butternut squash, a steamy casserole of brown rice and veggies, and how about a bowl of chocolate tapioca pudding.  Of coarse raw food is best, but you have to have a variety or you will become discouraged and give it up. If we were raised on nothing but uncooked food it would be different. But since we were raised on 90% cooked food, its hard wrap our brains around such a drastic change. I will post some good healthy comfort food so you have some resources to pull from. When you feel overwhelmed  just remember to cut a few things like deep frying, loads of salt, tons of cheese, processed meats, and quick foods.  Broil, bake toast, roast, and new spices, be creative. I know it takes more effort, but that is what we are here for. Encouragement! Now for those of you who have begun to swim upstream, please share some of your favorite healthy comfort foods for the rest of us. I hope this has encouraged you at least a little bit. I am going to thumb through my favorite winter time recipes and post them in a bit. Keep warm!

0 comments:

Post a Comment